Saturday, November 20, 2010

What Happened to October?

Well, it's gone. Too fast, with way too much going on. And now we're in November and that's almost over. What is going on? I don't get the "when you get older time goes faster" thing at all. But it seems to be true!

December is coming rapidly. The Keys are looming ahead, one day after Thanksgiving. A week away down south in Margaritaville. Can't say I don't mind that hurrying up a bit. But then, it's just next week and will be here long before I'm packed and ready to go, with the house clean for Krisse to come and stay with the majority of the menagerie! Stella, lucky dog, gets to go to the Keys! She always gets to go. She's the boating dog, the swimming dog and the traveling dog. Just open the car door and she's in and buckling her seatbelt. No, not really, she sits in the back seat and sleeps most of the way down and back. But she's ready to go and insists on overseeing the packing of her belongings, toys and treats!

Early December in the Keys is a well kept secret. It's QUIET down there. The tourists haven't trickled down the blue flanked ribbon of highway (thank you, Woody Guthrie) to paradise yet and we wander around the tiny islands like ghosts in a surreal landscape of peace, silence and wintery sunsets. Sometimes it's even cold! Have to take jackets and long pants, just in case. But then it's fun to walk down Duvall Street with a sweater, mini skirt, tights and high boots. Nothing like feeling cool, both figuratively and literally! Ha!

And favorite restaurants like Rickey's Blue Heaven (Jimmy Buffet's fave and starring in his song, Blue Heaven Rondezvous) and Camille's welcome us like long lost friends because we always come back for their superb menus and atmosphere. Hopefully, the Dessert Restaurant (can't remember it's name) will still be open. Imagine, a restaurant that only serves dessert. Is there a heaven in paradise? You betcha (sorry, Sarah! Couldn't help myself!)

Starting tomorrow, I get serious about packing, about cleaning and getting my life together to go have some fun in a favorite, private paradise, a place I grew up in spending each summer on different keys. I will always find a reason to return there.

While I'm there, I write. The novel I've been working on for so long that it seems it will never end is the job I take on seriously for one week every year. No, it's not War and Peace; not anywhere near as long (or boring, hopefully, to my eventual, potential readers). It's enjoyable and I love my story. I just wish that there weren't so many other fun, distracting things to do because I never write enough or get anywhere near finishing it. But then, that's one of the excuses I use to keep going back. One day the story will be finished. I hope. In the meantime, Margaritaville is calling and I have to take that call.

No comments:

Post a Comment