Thursday, April 1, 2010

iThink, iLike, iPad

The iPad: I haven't touched it, seen it or used it yet. But since 1985, I've been a Mac user and for twenty-five years, Apple has never, never disappointed me. Well, maybe a tiny bit... MacTV, Mac Mini (?), E-Mac. But not much. I've owned a Mac from practically every generation since the Mac SE. My original tiny computer is packed away in my closet. It still works, still says "Hello" and "Goodbye" when you turn it one and off. That's pretty phenomenal when you think about all the throw away PCs out there. Then there was the Performa series, the 8600, the G3, G4, and lions, tigers and snow leopards, oh, my! Well, not lions (at least not yet!), but you get the picture.

This iPad doesn't have a camera, a phone, a lot of things are missing. But it does have the inimitable Apple state-of-the art style, function + the promised intimate relationship potential. Apple knows the reasons why those items were left out and are positive the iPad is destined to do great things in education, communication, literature, music and movies. It is the next step in Apple's quiet revolution. They continue to change the way we see the world. And they constantly strive to bring the world closer together. It's working!

As a long time Mac user, I have a certain advantage.  Quite some time ago, I discovered Apple has always done its Beta testing through their release of prototypes. This enables them to obtain feedback through actual users' hands-on comments. Back in the early days, a smart Mac user waited until the second or third generation of a new desktop or laptop series. The middle of the three models in each series was usually the best bet. That worked for me every time I bought something new. I didn't want to be a beta tester. I wanted the added bonus of having the bugs worked out for me by other unsuspecting and less observant geeks and nerds.

It's the same with their hot new iPad. They are flying out of the stores. Everyone wants to be the first to hold one in their hands. People stand in line to have their shot at the next new thing. Not me. I'm waiting. Two or three generations down the road, the iPad will have come into its own and I won't have to stand in line to get it. I hate lines!

I like the iPad. I haven't even come close to one yet. When I finally do, I fear it will be love at first sight. But I'm putting off the inevitable for as long as possible. When they finally get it right, iSee, iLike, iBuy, iPad (3rd generation!)

For now, iWait.

An Apple/Mac/i-anything user!

No comments:

Post a Comment