Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Things I Wear

I often wear my father's brown suede jacket to keep me warm outside and my mother's sage chenille bathrobe to keep me warm inside. I wear my step-mother's anniversary ring and my grandfather's burgundy Chinese robe. I wear my dad's flannel shirts, several pairs of his warmest socks, two of my mom's favorite nightgowns and her vintage costume jewelry. I set my table with my step-mother's silver and my grandparents' two sets of china. I have a chain and pendant my grandmother once thought she lost and found again in a pocket of her purse. I was with her that day. The look on her face was priceless. I will never forget it.

I found an old set of brass wind chimes when I cleaned out my mother's house. I took them home and hung them in the wind. Every time I hear them chime it's as if she's speaking to me. I'm glad they found their voice.

I have a file of all of their birth and death certificates. I am the keeper of all they were because they are gone. Their treasures keep me close to them and them close to me.

Every single day, I wear their love and memories in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment